Thursday, October 14, 2010

Orange

Today I got to spend about an hour with a little 1-year-old girl who I just think is fantastic.  She early on decided that we were going to read books, mostly because she can say "books" and knows what they are.  Many of the books were about colors, so I would say the color and point and she would repeat.  After a while I started asking her "what color is this?"  Her reply was "orange."   Always orange.  So then I would say "no that purple."  She we repeat "purpa".  Then I would ask her "what color is this?" staying on the same page, and her reply would be "orange."  The I would correct, she would repeat and it would go on and on.

This made me think of our relationship with God.  I just imagined God sitting there pointing to a book trying to teach me.  I would sometimes get it right, because orange is a color, but if He tries to move on to purple I can't get it, because I still haven't wrapped my mind around what orange is.  But when He tries to move on to purple, and I get it wrong, He looks at my dimpled 5-tooth smile as I answer and thinks I'm just too darn cute to get mad or frustrated at.  Isn't that what Papa God is like?  He is simply delighted that I am engaging in His endeavors to teach me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment