Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Sitting at an Intersection

So i FINALLY broke down and purchased a GPS.  It's pretty much a requirement in a town like this.  I've been enjoying the freedom it has given me.  I never have to fear that I'll get lost or that it won't get me to my destination.  Even if I take a wrong turn, it "recalculates" and get me in the right direction.  Even if I end up taking a different road than the GPS initially had me take, I still get to where I want to go.
I recently read a book that compared God and our Destiny to a GPS (Beautiful Destiny by Lisa Weaver)You can understand now why this particular comparison became rhema to me. And couldn't it be true? Perhaps we have this Destiny we were born for, and if we turn right or left we will still get there.  We might go on completely different roads than initially planned, but we still make it to the destination.

It definitely takes a weight off my shoulders, but I've also learned something else about Destiny.  For the past month, I haven't been actually moving in any direction.  I've been learning that being offered a job doesn't always mean you start work right away.  In a city that is constantly busily moving, I am still.  It feels very unChristian of me to be not contributing to the world at all.  Then God reminded me of the story of Mary and Martha.  For those of you who grew up with the Donut Man, me included, this song is the first thing  that comes to mind:
Mary sits at Jesus’s feet
While Martha makes good food to eat
Mary sits and listens to Jesus
While busy Martha makes things neat

Martha:
I am busily, busily working while Mary is shirking
Why can’t Jesus see, she should help me
I am chopping and cutting a cooking while Mary is looking
Why can’t Jesus see, she should help me

Jesus:
Martha, Martha why do you worry
Mary. Mary chose the best part when she chose Me

Wow!  Have you ever thought of how selfish Mary sounds.  Nothing would ever get done if the world was made up of Marys.  Yes, perhaps Martha worried a little too much, but didn't they still need food?  
Well, I've been  learning what it means to be Mary.  I've struggled with feelings of selfishness, like I'm spending all this time with God, but not really doing anything for Him.  Not really driving towards my Destiny.  But if Jesus is right about Mary, then the Destination isn't really point.  It's slowing down long enough to realize that sitting Jesus' feet is more important than making sure your home is spotless.  And if we are made in His image, perhaps we'll learn a little about ourselves in the process.    

One thing I ask
And I shall seek
To dwell in the house of the Lord
All the days of my life
To gaze upon the beauty of the Lord
And seek Him in His temple.
Ps.  27:4

No comments:

Post a Comment